Portillo's Italian Beef Kit & Hot Dog Kit Combo
Get a taste of two of Portillo's most famous dishes, their Chicago-style hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches!.
This Portillo's Italian Beef Kit & Hot Dog Kit Combo is packed with:
- 2 lbs. of Portillo's Famous Italian Beef
- 2 qts of Portillo's signature gravy
- 8 bake and serve Italian rolls
- 8 oz. of Sweet Peppers
- 8 oz. of Hot Giardiniera
- 10 all beef Portillo's Chicago hot dogs
- 10 poppy-seed buns
- 9-oz of yellow mustard
- 6-oz of green relish
- 6-oz of sport peppers
- Celery salt
- Fill a 4 quart pot with one and half quarts of water (48 ounces).
- Bring water to a boil; turn the water down until it stops boiling, or a slight simmer. (DO NOT COOK HOT DOGS IN BOILING WATER).
- Place desired number of hot dogs into water and cook uncovered for 20 minutes. This is one of the critical steps to get the genuine Portillo's flavor.
Hot Dog Buns
- Do not steam the buns until the hot dogs have cooked for 20 minutes.
- Place package of hot dog buns into a microwave, if fewer buns are desired put them into a plastic bag and loosely close bag.
- Heat buns on high for 2 to 2 ½ minutes. (If fewer buns are desired heat for 45-60 seconds).
- Be cautious when opening, escaping steam and hot dog buns will be extremely hot.
- Carefully open steam bun completely.
- Place hot dog into bun with ends curling up.
- Top with desired condiments in the following order: Mustard, Relish, Onion, Tomato slices, Portillo's seasoning salt (one shake per slice), Pickle spear and Sport Peppers.
Stove top heating instructions
- Place entire contents of gravy bucket in large sauce pan.
- Heat until it reaches 180°.DO NOT BOIL. This takes about 20 minutes.
- Open beef pack and separate slices. This creates a more flavorful and tender sandwich.
- Add enough slices for 2-3 sandwiches at a time and heat for about 1 minute. Add beef in small increments as needed.
- Take temperature of gravy while heating beef. The temperature should stay between 165° and 180° for best results.
- Place rolls on cookie pan 2" apart and bake at 450° for 5 minutes.
Microwave heating instructions
- Place entire contents of gravy bucket in microwave safe bowl and heat for 5 minutes. This includes any solids or spices.
- Stir contents and then heat for another 4 minutes while separating the beef slices. The temperature should be 180°. DO NOT BOIL.
- Take bowl out of microwave and add enough beef for 2-3 sandwiches and stir in for about a minute. Take temperature as you add beef.
- If the temperature falls below 165° remove beef, return to microwave and reheat for 2 minutes.